Monday, November 18, 2013

PLN Reading Takeaways

I was struck by the author's emphasis on the authenticity of how you get your ideas on educationrethink.com He emphasized that there are dozens (if not hundreds) of ways to access information to aid your professional development, but the important thing is that it feels useful, natural, and authentic to you. He mentioned sharing a pint with his friend at a local bar and discussing their ideas casually in conversation. This informal method can be just as informative and useful as going to a conference or attending a class, and it works with who he is and what he is trying to achieve. 

I really liked that both sites emphasized that you can customize your PLN to suit your interests and needs. I was a little intimidated about planning a PLN until I read these articles and realized that yes, a PLN will require me to reach out to other teachers and possibly social media more than I currently do, but the extent and the types of outreach are all up to me. It's all about choosing what I will actually use and how I prefer to access information. I would never have thought of facebook or twitter as opportunities for professional learning, but it's definitely something that I will consider. 

No comments:

Post a Comment